Two months of great emotions
The program of the fifty-third cycle of classical plays will be dedicated to the link between the city and the theater in the year when we will celebrate the 2754 anniversary of the founding of the city of Syracuse .
The representations program includes the production and staging of the tragedies “Seven Against Thebes” Aeschylus and “Phoenician” Euripides and comedy “Frogs” Aristophanes . The two tragedies will alternate from May 17 to 25 June then, after three days of rest, and from June 29 to July 9 comedy “Rane” which will be staged, for a total of 57 representations. On June 19, also there will be a World Refugee Day , civil commitment tribute in which the Syracuse territory is constantly at the forefront.
The three new productions are directed by important directors of Italian theater :
- Marco Baliani will direct “Seven Against Thebes”, tragedy will be staged for the fourth time in Syracuse after the preparations of the 1924, 1966 and 2005;
- Valerio Binasco will “Phoenician” scene, the intense work of Euripides who returns to Syracuse at a distance of 49 years from the only representation in 1968;
- Giorgio Barberio Corsetti has been assigned “Frogs”, inserted in the bill of classic plays for the third time after 1976 and 2002.
The video was shot during classical performances of 2016.
Alcestis of Euripides – Directed by Cesare Lievi
The video (Alcestis of Euripides – Directed by Cesare Lievi) was shot during classical performances of 2016.
During the period of classical performances, the B&B L’Isola di Ortigia offers its guests the opportunity to take advantage of a discount depending on length of stay :
- stay for one night – no discount provided
- stay for two nights – discount of 10%
- stay for three nights – discount of 15%
- stay for 4 nights or more – discount of 20%